Proper air conditioning maintenance can help your unit last decades. On the flip-side, a neglected air conditioner loses roughly 5% of its efficiency each year that it operates without upkeep. So that green machine you bought to stay cool could start to function like the most inefficient thing on the market, if you fail to perform regular air conditioning maintenance.
Filters and coils are both parts that require regular maintenance for your air conditioner to operate effectively and efficiently. Neglecting your unit leads to poor air conditioning performance and increased energy consumption. And regular maintenance is far less costly than repairs or a replacement.
By keeping your unit operating at peak performance, you will recover any money invested in upkeep by lower repair costs and savings on your electric bill.
The maintenance offered by Reliant Heating & Air Conditioning includes a checking of the following items:
- Thermostat settings ensure cooling and heating operations keep you comfortable when you’re home and cut energy use when you’re not
- Electrical connections should be tightened. Voltages and currents on motors should be measured. Poorly maintained electrical connections cause unsafe operation of your system while reducing the life of all components.
- Lubricate moving parts. Friction causes additional resistance in motors and increases the amount of electricity used.
- Inspect the condensate drain in central AC units, furnaces and heat pumps (for cooling modes). Plugged drains cause overflows and water damage, affecting indoor humidity levels.
- Controls ensure safe and proper operation. Check that the system cycles (starts, operates, and shuts off), properly.
- Evaporator and condenser air coils. Dusty, dirty coils reduce a system’s ability to cool your home. They cause the system to run longer, raising energy costs while stressing the life of the equipment.
- Check and adjust the refrigerant level of your central air conditioner. Too much or too little refrigerant is another symptom of a less efficient, energy increasing and life reducing system.
- Clean and adjust blower component. This provides proper airflow for greater comfort. Airflow problems cause system reduction up to 15
- Check gas and oil connections. Improper connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems.
- Gas pressure. Natural gas contains approximately 5% moisture. This can cause the diaphragm in pressure regulators to freeze in some winter climates. Rust preventing paint can help prevent leaks at joints.
- Burner combustion and heat exchanger. Dirty burners or a cracked heat exchanger causes improper operation. Either will cause equipment malfunction.
For a comprehensive list of points included in Reliant Heating & Air Conditioning’s precision tune-up service, check out our Preferred Maintenance Agreement!